Final Project Week One Reflection

This week I began my final project: A wiki focusing on the various aspects of knitting and crochet. My goal is to create a place where beginners can find helpful instructions and advice, and crafters of all experience levels  can discuss stitches, yarns, patterns, and media representation.

Because I had my wiki mostly set up before we began this project, I tried to make the most of the first week as an opportunity to explore the functions wikispaces, which is the wiki hosting platform I chose to use. Editing text is somewhat different from the methods used on our class wiki page. It works more similarly to Microsoft Word in that changes to the text such as creating headings or using italics or bulletpoints are done by highlighting the text and hitting the desired button, rather than using various symbol combinations (like =====heading===== and **bold**)

I was incredibly pleased with the ease with which I could incorporate pictures from Google Images (with links to the sources!) and Youtube videos. It was a little tricky figuring out which buttons did what at first (pictures are uploaded via the “files” button, and Youtube videos via the “widgets” button), but once I had figured out how to do it, it was easy to put that knowledge into practice. Next week I hope to learn to incorporate my own images, rather than Google Images, and other widgets besides Youtube videos (depending on whether or not other widgets would be helpful/appropriate).

There were several things that I found frustrating about wikispaces as well, the foremost being in the creation of new pages. While I have stuck to the convention of using CamalCase WikiWords for all pages, wikispaces doesn’t seem to have the function of creating a new wiki page whenever a new word is used. I have to manually start a new page, then go back to the page I used the WikiWord on and link the word to the page. Also, I have to do this, as the only way I’ve found that MIGHT make it so that others can create pages is to add people as members of the wiki.

As for my goal workload for the week and how it compares to what I actually did, I’d say I was mostly on track. I did have a couple sections that I meant to do yesterday that didn’t get done until today because my boyfriend’s family was in town. Beforehand I had believed they would simply arrive, pick him up, and leave, but they ended up staying the night and I got dragged along, so almost zero homeworks were done yesterday. Since no such complications should be popping up this week, I should be able to remain completely on track.

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “Final Project Week One Reflection

  1. You can also start pages by typing the name of your new page on an existing page while in edit mode, then highlight the title and click on the ‘link’ button at the top. Your page name should appear in the pop-up window that opens. Then just click ‘add link.’ Hit ‘save’ and you should be good to go. Still a little clunky, but faster.

  2. Pingback: Final Project Week Two Reflection | ecofriendlyfreak

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s