Final Project Week Two Reflection

This week in my final project I delved into tutorials and information on various stitches beyond the basics. In knitting I made tutorials for increasing and decreasing the number of stitches per row, ribbing, seed, and moss stitch, cables, and fair isle colorwork.  In crochet I covered increasing/decreasing (including the wave stitch pattern), the popcorn stitch, and granny squares. Of course this isn’t anywhere close to an extensive list of different knit an crochet stitches, but it was plenty for me to make a new page every day, which means that I have continued to meet (and even exceed) my goal of 4 pages per week.

On a good note, I’ve found that Anna Hamann’s suggestion for creating pages by writing the title and clicking “link” while editing to be very helpful. Not only has it made page creation less cumbersome (and I mean A LOT less cumbersome), it has also made it possible for others to create pages, and I have altered my WikiGuidelines to reflect this new information.

Over the past week I have become more proficient in manipulating images on the Wikispaces platform. That being said, if I were to choose a wiki host based on ease of use regarding images, I would not choose Wikispaces again. The process of inserting the images is simple, but manipulations afterward are… tricky? Yes, tricky sounds like the right word. It took some trial and error to figure out that, if I want the image to align on one side with the text appearing next to it as on Granny Squares or Cable Patterns, I have to insert the image ABOVE the text first, not below. If I insert it below and tell it to align right, the image will align right, but the text remains above the image. Also, in trying to go to the next line after an image, it will often realign the picture to the left without being prompted to do so.

Uploading an image from my computer resulted in some interesting complications as well. I used my own image on Crochet Increases and Decreases. After I uploaded and inserted the image, all text following it was “styled.” I’m not entirely sure what this means, but it made it very difficult to edit the text. If I tried to make a certain line a heading, then the next line would automatically be aligned center. I tried to “clear styles” but that had no effect. The only way I could find to work around it was to type out everything, then go back and change the appropriate lines into headings.

Another frustration I had was with the home page. When I first began, the home page title simply read “home”. This seemed unprofessional to me, and I tried to to change the title to “Home Page”.  This, however, created a new page with all my home page contented, and reverted the home to the general welcome the the wiki information. When I announced the creation of my wiki on Facebook, I linked it to the home page I actually liked and didn’t think about it further, but upon reading Daybook entry regarding the first week I found that that was ineffective, and have since copied my content to the actual homepage and deleted the extra home page.

 

Overall I’m finding that Wikispaces is awkward to use in many aspects. It isn’t so problematic as to necessitate changing to a different platform for this project, as I’ve already managed to find a way to work around many of the issues, but I don’t think I would vouch for it in the future.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s